Page Turners Read Hurt Go Happy for February


The Page Turners book discussion group for tweens in grades 5-7 is reading Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby for their February 14th meeting at 2:30. Come join us for a book discussion, snacks, and make a 3-D sign language art piece. Bus transportation from LMS to the library is available. Pick up your copy of Hurt Go Happy in the Teen Department or in the Young Readers' Room.

From Kerri on Hurt Go Happy
I’m so excited to read Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby with the Page Turners this month!

It’s going to be fun and interesting to read about Joey Willis, the main character in Hurt Go Happy. Joey is 13 and has been 70% deaf since she was 6. Joey was never taught sign language, and it’s hard to read lips. I know a lot of teenagers struggle to find some sense of belonging, but I really feel for Joey. Her everyday, teenage problems are compounded by the fact that communicating is so difficult for her.

Joey’s world changes for the better when she meets an old man and his baby chimp. Her two new friends communicate using American Sign Language, and Joey secretly starts learning to sign with them.

I was drawn to this story just by reading book reviews. Now that the book is here I can’t wait to see how this unlikely friendship will change the characters.

“Thirteen-year-old Joey Willis is used to being left out of conversations. Though she's been deaf since the age of six, Joey's mother has never allowed her to learn sign language. She strains to read the lips of those around her, but often fails.
Everything changes when Joey meets Dr. Charles Mansell and his baby chimpanzee, Sukari. Her new friends use sign language to communicate, and Joey secretly begins to learn to sign. Spending time with Charlie and Sukari, Joey has never been happier. She even starts making friends at school for the first time. But as Joey's world blooms with possibilities, Charlie's and Sukari's choices begin to narrow--until Sukari's very survival is in
doubt.” (goodreads.com)




Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
This was an amazing book! I am not part of your library thing...but we had book club in class and I read it. In my opinion if someone asked my for good guys and bad guys... I would not be able to say. I feel like everyone is on their own side. When it ended it sure provoked my emotions. I felt really happy and sad about what happened. I also feel really bad for Joey and how the other kids treated her. Except for Kenny of course! They should have totally married. They were perfect for each other! Maybe some of you don't trust Kenny, but I do. Well, I sure loved that book. Oh! And I think it could become a great movie

-an 11 year old girl
 

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!





<< Home

Remember to READ 4 THe FuN oF iT @ Aaron Cutler Memorial Library!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?